View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #463
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well...why would 8 games out weight two seasons worth of performance? Is it automatically assumed that he failed because it was the playoffs? Or is it more likely that it was a mixture of him being worn out, possibly even with small injuries, and random chance?

It's not like he's never pitched a good playoff game.

Any GM that was going to offer a CJ a huge contract before the post season and now won't because of 4 bad games and 1 so-so game is not a GM I want running a team I care about.
I'm not saying that the performance would totally make someone gun shy, but I can see it having a negative influence on the final numbers. If money can be made in a postseason run in any sport (and that's definitely happened), it can easily be lost on some level.

The starting point for me was the fact that he was a LHP, not an sure-fire ace but the leader of a team that won their division and was primed to make noise in the playoffs, and had a couple of good years. It was a chance to elevate his stature to the next level. The "stock" climbing to a peak. Taking that all into account would make him ripped to be in a major bidding war with high numbers.

Now, he's a LHP, not an sure-fire ace who could have issues that you listed or ran into bad luck. I'm not saying he's worse than what he was before he became a starter, but it definitely hurt the maximum amount he could have received. It might not be huge, ace numbers, but it could still lead to a healthy raise.