View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #465
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Ocelot on this one... Do NOT overpay CJ and get a legitimate 1B. I agree that him leaving would definitely hurt the team, but depending on what you replace him with, you could definitely improve. Hell, look at what we did with Cliff Lee leaving after last year.

If I had my way (and I recognize this hikes the salary a decent bit - but hey, 2 trips to the World Series and a healthy TV contract pays for that), here is next year's roster (minus bench):

C - Napoli
1B - Fielder
2B - Kinsler
3B - Beltre
SS - Andrus
LF - Murphy
CF - Hamilton
RF - Cruz
DH - Young

SP - Darvish
SP - Feliz
SP - Lewis
SP - Holland
SP - Harrison

8th - Adams
9th - Ogando

Likely? Not in the least. That is two very large splashes, a closer to starter move, a LF to CF move for Josh that many aren't thrilled with, etc. But I think it would be the best club we could put out on the field every game and a club with another great chance to win it all.

Regardless, every team minus the Cardinals would be thrilled to be in our position and, frankly, considering the age of their team, for long term success they might want to be too.

This team has a lot to be proud of and while this will hurt for, well, a long time (2006/Dallas still hurts), you just have to get back on the horse. Hopefully it doesn't take this team 5 years to make peace with the situation like it did our Mavs. Of course nothing is guaranteed and they may never get this far again. That possibility is why this stings so much more. 1 strike away. That will haunt me for a while. It will surely haunt this 2011 roster for the rest of their lives.