View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #128
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Keep in mind that while you may not be ready to trust Brewer, the Mavs gave him a three year (2.5 if you want to be technical) deal at over 3 mil a season. They clearly believe in him. And I think it's fairly clear that they think of him mostly as a SF. Signing Butler pushes Brewer out of the rotation completely.
And Brewer as SF works just in certain matchups. Too bad the guy doesnt have the handles to play the 2. Playing SF (and against them), the guy is 188lbs and wasnt able to bulk up since college. He misses in average ~30lbs against SF opponents. And then there are the Lebrons and Anthonys. And without Butler and Marion (bench, injuried, foul trouble) your options are Brewer, Cardinal, or maybe an undersized Stevenson (lets not remember: his numbers as SF are terrible).

And Butler wouldnt be a "backup player". He would be part of a three headed forward rotation scratching on the 30min mark.

I like Marion/Butler-Dirk/Marion with Brewer as a wildcard if they need an SG or SF or if Butler/Marion are injuried. But hell no, i dont want to have a Marion/Brewer/Cardinal SF rotation. Marion is freaking 33 years old and i want to contend for the next three years. He need a valid backup and thats not Brewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The potential that exists for Dallas to re-sign Cardinal and Stevenson to short-term and/or low-dollar deals without using the MLE is also going to play into their decision making on Caron, since both of those guys can play SF. I wouldn't expect either to be higher than 3rd on the depth chart at that position, but if you've got faith in Corey to take a step forward (and I suspect jthig's right in thinking that the Mavs do), then as a GM you're not going to have any problem with a Marion/Brewer/(Stevenson and/or Cardinal) SF rotation.
See my points above.

Last edited by sefant77; 11-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote