View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #187
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It locks up a roster spot and costs money against our budget, whatever it may be.

Even if Butler were healthy I would be reluctant to give him a significant multi-year deal. He was ineffective for us two years ago and his effectiveness last season was a small sample size based on defense and three point shooting that I don't believe he will continue.

I'm just not a believer in his fit. Marion is, and should continue to be our starting Small Forward. Also, Marion's effectiveness at PF is going to continue to decline as he gets older and loses quickness. So I don't think it makes sense to sign someone like Butler who is going to expect to play 25+ minutes a game at SF.
Excellent post. No way Butler should be offered more than 1 year to return.
AK47 would be a different matter. Could be real value there. His stock is low but he's shown he can be a difference maker when he's healthy and his head is screwed on right.

And yes to re-signing JJB, not only for continuity sake, but because he's sure to retain trade value. Similar to what Orlando did with Gortat, albeit on a smaller scale. Just hope that it's possible. Cant see the Mavs going much more than 3 yrs/4mil per though.

Would love to have D-Steve back on a 1year deal but am afraid he's priced himself out of our range. He really helped set the tone defensively and would be missed but there seem to be younger options with greater upside already on the roster.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote