View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel like I need to take some time out to explain some nuances of the game to a lot of you. I get so sick and tired of seeing posts like "Dirk needs to be more aggressive!" "Why isn't Dirk shooting!?" "Why is Dirk in the corner!?" Sometimes these gripes hold merit. Tonight was not one of those nights. A good player adapts their game based on the personnel, the flow, the tactics, etc.

Tonight, KG was allowed to literally bearhug Dirk every single trip down the court, and the refs wouldn't call it. In fact, they didn't call it one single time. KG finished the game with ONE foul despite committing dozens (if you call what he does every trip on D, not to mention 3 4th quarter illegal screens). So much so, that Coach got ejected over it. The fact is, because of this, when KG was on Dirk, it made things near impossible for Dirk to get a post catch. Accordingly, they went away from that and used Dirk to stretch the floor and "trap" two defenders on the Pick n' Roll. In THIS game, that was probably the best tactic. With Dirk on the perimeter, KG WILL NOT leave him, which completely opens the paint for everyone else. This tactic was epitomized on Jet's late lay-up. It was a waltz to the cup, perfectly orchestrated by Dirk. Now, in the 3rd quarter there was a stretch where KG was on the bench, and Dirk was calling for the ball, and West did a very poor job of getting it to him, but that's a different story entirely. In this game, due to the way it was being played and called, Dirk actually had a bigger impact as a floor spreader. That's why he only had 11 shots. Not "lack of heart", "lazyness", etc. And as we all saw, once it came down to the wire, Dirk will do his thing regardless.

I just wish some of you would take note of how the game is being played before saying stupid things.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote