View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #402
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
If you're right, than half the article doesn't make sense. If it's that obvious, why the writer says this ---> "A source close to the negotiations says Howard's representatives warned the Lakers that Howard would opt out of his contract and test the free-agent market next summer -- which has the Lakers' brass understandably nervous."

Don't get it, i thought he can be sign&traded with the new contract already signed.
Well, I think the key line is "test the free agent market". Howard HAS to opt out in order to sign a long term deal. So unless he's going to give the team he goes to a discount by signing an extension rather than a free agent contract, he's going to opt out. The key is whether is would be a hand shake type deal, as in "ok I'm opting out just so I can re-sign with you", or if it's an opt out so he can go on a free agency tour.

Regardless, no team is going to trade for him this season and get him to sign an extension.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote