View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #2116
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
1. Nothing is easy for the Mavs because they tend f-up the end of the 2nd and 3rd qtrs no matter if Kidd is playing or not. The next favorable matchup for the Mavs doesn't come until Feb 28th, so that is 20 days before meaningful playing time?
2. Players develop in blowouts where everyone chucks up shots and don't play defense?
3. No one knows when an injury is going to occur. In the meanwhile, Roddy can be practicing and playing under Del Harris/David Wesley. As Darrell Armstrong rightly pointed out on Bryan's podcast, Roddy is at a freshman/sophomore collegiate level in his PG skills, he is not your typical 3rd year veteran. Any playing time is better than no playing time. He can be recalled from the D-league when someone gets injured.

And you haven't been paying attention to other teams outside of the Mavs if you don't believe a player can get better in the D-league.
I never said a player can't get better in the DLeague. I said Roddy won't get better. And even that might be hyperbolic. He could probably get marginally better. But he's really too good at this point to get much better from competing in the DLeague. The competition down there is awful.

More importantly (to the Mavs, I can't tell if it's more important to you), Roddy is valuable to the Mavs as depth. All it takes is foul trouble, a minor injury, or just a bad half and Roddy will be needed with no notice. They're not going to sacrifice that for the marginal gains he might receive in the DLeague. I doubt very seriously that the Mavs are going to go 20 days without Roddy getting meaningful playing time. This back to back DNP-CD is the first of the season for him, and it would seem logical to assume that it's going to be more the exception than the rule moving forward.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote