View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #505
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I was considering the fact that we currently have the center position pretty well covered but the PG position is about to be completely up in the air. If we add Deron, then we still have Haywood holding down the middle, but if we add Dwight, then we're still stuck with the problem of having to replace a rapidly-declining Jason Kidd. That's at least one more player that needs to be added with Dwight over Deron, and (like center) the point guard position is one that comes at a premium, which also affects our flexibility to build the rest of our roster.

Maybe "rebuilding from the ground up" is a bit hyperbolic, but I definitely think it will take more work to put a team around Dwight next season than it would around Deron.
If you sign Dwight you can amnesty Haywood and use that slot to help you fill out the roster at the guard position. You can make a very, very strong case that Howard plus 8+Mil of cap room to go find a wing player is better than Deron + Haywood (and it's clearly better than Deron plus that cap room).

I agree that it's more work, but there's a significant difference in value between Dwight and Deron.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote