View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #2167
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
ribosoma said:.There are several posters here who routinely call RC "stupid" or "an idiot". Even some who blame him for playoff losses when he wasn't even coaching the team.

It seems apparent to me that RC has a plan for Roddy so far this season. Being that those who laud him often point out that he needs to build his confidence, I would think that playing him against non-contending teams would do exactly that. The idea that Carlisle "doesn't develop young players" (an unfortunate theme displayed by several posters ) is factually inaccurate. Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and JJB prove otherwise, to name a few.

..I am not attacking the entire board, just pointing out the repeated themes of a few posters here. If you interpret those in a different way than I do, that's okay by me. No harm done.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________ Wilmtalk said:
No coach is perfect and no coach is totally without merit. I in the past have called RC an idiot. Now within the context I called him an Idiot I still stand by that. In those area's he is still deficiant. Now you in your earlier post stated that RC won the Champianship. The team won the Champianship. I didn't see him out on the floor. Now I do give him credit for starting Chandler thoughout the season instead of Haywood. As to utilizing JJB against LA that was a no brainer because both LA and Miami had trouble with quick points. It was not that brilliant a move as some media heads harped on. Besides RC when he has utilized a player within the rotation for some time and having had a lot of time to to evaluate how the player impacts the rotation he is a pretty good coach. He had the entire season to do so. I have always said he is a good coach with a standard rotation. He just has problems making adjustments on the fly. He has difficulty evaluating an unknown ( new players) or making a quick adjustment. This is what you deal with with rookies they lack consistancy. With veterans they have a history so even if they were not on his team he knows their skill level and what he will get from them. He is also very conservative. There were really no inovative moves that were made in the playoffs. That only seemed so to those that had not really followed the mavs during the regular season. RC has predetermined moves which he utilizes under certain circumstances. He is not a quick thinker, rather he is very methodical.

Having young players on your team does not mean you developed them. That is purely an assumption you make to bolster your argument. Some players come into the league at a higher level of development. Each player is different. Now a relatively inexperienced player such as Roddy really needs development. In relation to his stint in Indiana I defered to the judgement of a basketball knowledgable friend of mine who has been an Indiana fan and follows them extensively. He stated that RC was not good at developing rookies there. That was a main reason he was no longer there.

As to his stint in Dallas, I stand by my statement about RC. Green while having a low BBIQ and probably not much of an NBA future actually got worse the longer he was here. Now I can understand a player not getting better, but getting worse says a lot. To say that RC developed JJB is a joke. Our Latin posters will tell you that JJB was an offensive force with a lot of experience and success in International BB already. All that happened here was that he finally was integrated into the offense. And that took quite some time. JJB was not raw like Roddy.

RC is a very good coach in utilizing veterans. Now last years team was an ideal situation for both RC and the mavs. Now if the mavs were to continue to resign veterans and go that route than RC will continue to do fine. But if they want to build for the future with Key veterans while also developing young talent ( low cap number).I don't think he is the guy. As Cuban said the way the salary cap is set up now the latter is the only way to go. I think once the veterans are gone RC developmental weakness's will become evident and it end just like his stint in Indiana did. RC needs and thrives on veterans.

You say you think he has a plan for Roddy. I say his plan is to use him to try to learn how develop players because he knows that skill is now essential for him to be successful as a coach in the future. The problem is that Roddy development is suffering because of RC's on the job training in that area. Who know what it is that RC seems to lack. Patiance, inability to communicate? I have known a few people in my time who were very knowledgable but couldn't or didn't care to transfer that knowledge to others. It might be a personality thing. Some people just can't teach.
So, just to be clear, Carlisle's strengths, as cited by almost all of the players he has coached (in-game adjustments, innovative game-planning and play-calling) you consider weaknesses. Not only do your opinions fly in the face of the players he has coached, the other coaches in the league, and the writers who follow the sport, but they are completely nonsensical when simply watching the game.

If criticism is valid, have at it. The simple fact is that bad coaches, or especially coaches with the shortcomings you feel the need to tar Carlisle with, don't win NBA titles. Ever.

And, presumanly with a straight face, you bring up Gerald effing Green as an example of his failure to develop young talent? Really? Wouldn't Green have had to show some kind of ability at any of his stops in the league for you to make that assessment? Outside of dunking in garbage time, I just don't see it.

It seems like some fans have their pet developmental players that they make sure to tell everyone about ad nauseum. The common fallout after they don't live up to their expectations is to blame the coach for that player's lack of development. Sometimes, my friend, those pet players just can't get it done. Never was there a better example of this than Gerald Green. If he had anything to offer this league, he is certainly young enough to be in the league right now... and he isn't. If Gerald Green is one of the piers of the foundation you are resting your argument on, I'm afraid that said argument has already collapsed.

Your other pier for the foundation of your argument is... a fan. And that fan said that Rick wasn't good at developing young players. So, my homework assignment for you is the following:

Look over the Pacers rosters while Rick was coaching there and let me know who he should have developed better. Prove your point, once and for all. I'm sure that there should be one player on those rosters who was young and immensely talented, only to be forced to work for Rick Carlisle, the coach who doesn't develop young players.

Until then, your opinion seems to be unfounded in regards to RC. Rick demands attention to detail and toughness from his players. With those two characteristics being key to his style, it is easy for me to see why Roddy hasn't just been handed the reins. This team is about winning titles now, not placating fans who are too proud to admit that they were wrong about the coach.

The part of your post that I highlighted in red is particularly troublesome. Your parameters for your argument don't seem to be valid. Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince have all credited RC for their development. But those players somehow don't count because??? Because your argument falls apart, maybe? Now, if each player is an individual, some needing more development, some less, then name the players who Rick has coached that fit Roddy's level of development (or lack thereof) when he came into the league. I'll help you. There isn't one.

You have absolutely zero idea of how the staff is developing Roddy. You seem to be basing your opinion on playing time, so my question to you is, do you risk the season to get Roddy more playing time? Do you risk playoff seeding? Because he has already had several off games so far this season where he was tentative and cost the team. Do you not get Kidd into game shape so you can make some fans look less douchey because they wear their Free Roddy shirts to games?

I have an extremely hard time believing that the veterans on this team would buy into Carlisle's system if they felt that Roddy's development this season was a key to defending their title. The quotes from his teammates seem to reflect a truth that the Free Roddy camp can't seem to grasp: If Roddy is to succeed or fail he must be more consistent. He must "be ready." He hasn't been consistent. He often drifts and loses focus. He pouts. That does not earn you playing time on a championship-caliber roster. Ever. Thus far, Roddy has been a massive disappointment. I was excited as anyone to see him succeed because it would help the TEAM. He is playing for a title contender with a coach who many players, coaches, GMs, and owners consider to be the best in the game right now. If he doesn't pan out, it will all be on him, the player, you know, the guys who win games, as you pointed out.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote