View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #2198
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
To nitpick
Chauncey Billups credits Flip Saunders for his career not Carlisle. Chauncey had his breakout in Minnesota after Terrell Brandon went down. Billups career had been spiraling downward because of his injuries and poor shooting. Saunders had brought him to Timberwolves as backup after it looked as if his career had reached an end. By the time he got to Detroit, Chauncey was going into his 7th year in the league.

Rip Hamilton was going into his 4th year when he went to Detroit. He had been averaging 19pts per game the 2 years prior.

Ron Artest and Al Harrington were in their 6th and 5th years. They both had been trending upwards in points and minutes before Carlisle had arrived.

Tayshaun Prince was one of the reason's Carlisle was fired from the Pistons. He couldn't break into the rotation during the regular season. He didn't get burn until his back was against the wall (sounds familiar) and the Pistons were about to be swept out of the playoffs. Prince is the only player to have scored more points in the playoffs than the regular season.

We can even talk about Ian, Brandan, and probably Yi. Ian was drafted in 2005, played professionally overseas for a couple years after being drafted, and the d-league for the Spurs. Brandan and Yi both drafted in 2007 and have had their once promising careers derailed due to injury and poor play.

Carlisle's history is that he doesn't want anything to do with the growing pains that is exhibit by young players (pouting, inconsistency, loss of concentration) under his watch, which he hides under the mantra of "be ready". You have to go through a period of unprepared before you actually get to "ready". That is how it works 95% of the time.

I actually do agree with J0shi. This team cannot survive a long championship run if Kidd continues his poor play. The offense doesn't run as efficiently when West/Terry/Roddy is at the helm. It's probably best for the team as constructed to swing deal for another PG.
Larry Brown was the reason that Carlisle was fired in Detroit. Joe Dumars had the view that Carlisle was too green to take the Pistons to the next level, and he may have been right at that time. I think this was why Rick was so accommodating at his exit, appearing and speaking at the press conference where his termination was announced. Carlisle understood what was going on perfectly. Larry Brown had scoreboard.

Carlisle's history is to radically transform the culture of a team, first and foremost. That's why the nitpicking and revisionism seems so ridiculous to me. Perhaps the reason why some see Carlisle as not being a guy who trusts young players is because he rarely coaches the type of team that relies upon young players (i.e., a non-competitive team).

Chauncey got to Detroit and Carlisle brought out the absolute best in him. Whether or not you see that as development is conjecture. The concept of player development is entirely subjective, so if you like Carlisle, you may be compelled to give him credit for developing talent, especially when the actual players themselves did, and if you dislike Carlisle, you will probably be inclined to dismiss his impact on young players. I am relatively confident that if Roddy does indeed develop into what he could be as a Mav, a few here will give Carlisle zero credit for it. That's when we'll get the "players play the game" argument by the same people who blame a lack of said development on a coach. It's quite the cop-out, in my opinion.

All I really know of Carlisle is what I've seen over the past several years, and that is that I have seen his impact on THIS team grow and that he has ultimate scoreboard over all of the armchair analysts who criticize him out there. He won a title. Coaches who win a title tend to know what they are doing. And, I would assume, perhaps to a fault, that he knows a great deal more about developing players than a casual fan with a seemingly flawed short-term memory.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote