View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 11:02 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< Maybe you disagree with him, but can you really fault a guy for using a platform that, for whatever reason, he holds to speak out against a perceived injustice. >>

Uhmm...yes, you can. Examples? Reggie White's homophobic comments were way out of line, even though he was speaking about something that was incongruent with his own personal perception of morality. He should NOT have used his visibility as a football player to condemn a group who could not engage him in a public debate. Same goes for Jeremy Shockey sounding off earlier this year on the Howard Stern show--wrong, inexcusably wrong.

John Rocker gave his social commentary on the desirability of living in New York. Did he have the RIGHT to do it? Yes. Was it appropritate? No. Big difference.

Why do atheltes like Nash think that it's their right to comment publically on highly sesntive issues like this? For an issue like this, it's not enough just to have an opinion and be willing to babble it out; it's not 'courageous' just to be willing to exploit one's high degree of visibility to talk about something he doesn't even know about. The quotes didn't even show him to be qualifying his opinion--he categorically gave an uninformed opinion.

Things I WOULD be interested in hearing Nash comment on, about which he would have special knowledge, but about which he won't be NEARLY so courageous:

--Should Cuban extend Nellie's contract now rather than let him dangle?

--Should the Mavs have pursued a more defensive-oriented point guard to back him (Nash) up, instead of NVE?

--To what extent does he perceive that the Mavericks' frontcourt is holding the team back?

--Would Donnie Nelson REALLY make a good head coach? Does the team function better under Big Whistle, Dell, or Little Whistle?

--Does Nash that he may have gotten any undue attention because he's a successful white player playing a position dominated by African-American players? Has he experienced any resentment from teammates or opponents?

--Who is The Man, the Go-To Guy on the Mavericks? Is it Dirk? If it's not, why not? Was it awkward to watch the team transition from looking to Finley as the leader to looking to Dirk?

--Why, in Steve's opinion, didn't Fin make the All-Star team this year? Does Nash feel guilty about making the team when his just-as-deserving teammmate didn't? Does he think that the benefited unjustly for being an international player? Did Nash consider stepping aside to let John Stockton play in what may be his final season? If not, why not?

--Does Nash think that Yao Ming deserved to start over Shaq?

--Does Nash think that Vince Carter should've stepped aside and let Michael Jordan start?

THESE are things that Nash would have an special, informed perspective about, but he damned sure won't have the 'courage' to address.

It's one thing for politicians with access to information that the general public might not have, or academics with special knowledge of a region and culture and history to speak out in an attempt to influence public opinion. I may disagree with them vehemently, but at least they're coming from an informed perspective.

I've had some reservations about his oncourt decision-making this year and his off-court focus and dedication last year, but have held back criticism to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I certainly have HUGE issues with his off-court decision making on the basis of these statements. And fair or not, I probably won't be giving him the benfit of the doubt anymore, on- or off-the-court. I now see him as just another dumb jock, intoxicated by modest success, and burdened by an over-inflated sense of importance. I really think he would be better off now playing in Toronto.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote