View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #138
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
As to the point of ball movement...

Let me preface this post saying I support this team and what the FO did last offseason with respect to this year and the future.

It's pretty obvious as to why there is considerably less. You first have to look at the difference in personnel. The additions of West and VC and the departures of JJ, Stevenson, and TC. The two main things I notice in this new offense, is that the post-up has come more into play.

The Mavs, as a whole, ran a much slower offense this year compared to last. Now instead of Dirk posting up, you also have VC. Where as, when that second unit came in last season, you had up tempo offense, with JJ pushing the ball, creating plays and ultimately wide open looks.

At center, you now have Haywood, instead of TC. TC was known for his defense. However, he was great with the ball on offense. Simply knew where and when to pass it and great with the pick and roll. You lose that with Haywood, but you won't be paying $15MM 4 years from now.

Obvious post is obvious, but it seems most don't realize this is a much different team.
This is the same offense that was ran last year which puts a premium of spacing to get a good jump shot off. Unfortunately, the shooters never got hot. After their initial early shooting struggles, Caron, Terry, and Barea were smoking from the outside. Then Peja replace Caron. Dirk shot a career high as well, and Kidd was much better. Last year was just a perfect storm.

Fast Forward this year. Lamar was shooting a career worst. Roddy shot a career worst. Vince Carter shot a career worst. Dirk saw his shooting percentages slip to his 2nd year average. Kidd was terrible. Terry couldn't shoot on the road. This year was a nightmare. It just happens.

If Carlisle had a normal year, I could see him installing a different offense than last year. Odom, Carter, West, Wright, Ian, Marion and Roddy are all great movers w/o the ball but off the ball movement wasn't really exploited with this bunch.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote