View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I like this way of approaching the offseason and opinions of the board. To me, the FO has to take a two-lane road with Deron Williams. They've got to be prepared for both scenarios, he comes to Dallas or he doesn't. I also really think Azubuike has a Butler-esque impact on this team next year. Remember, the Mavs FO included a team option for next year.

I'll contribute by listing some of the more intriguing names. Obviously, some of these guys aren't feasible if Deron chooses to sign here. Also, I'll be limiting my list to unrestricted free agents, as oppoed to restricted or trade scenarios.

Steve Nash, Raymond Felton, Krik Hinrich, Jason Terry, Goran Dragic, Randy Foye, Nick Young, DeShawn Stevenson, Anthony Parker, Michael Redd, Steve Novak, Carl Landry, Ersan Ilyasova, Chris Kaman, Spencer Hawes, Greg Oden.

A few more notes, some of these depend on value, obviously. I think the positions that most need addressing include both guard spots, center and backup power forward. There are another handful of intriguing restricted guys, but like I said earlier, left them off. Same with trade targets, and possible amnesty claims. We honestly barely know what the landscape is going to look like. It will be another 6 weeks.
I agree completely with not looking at RFA. They have to be OVER payed to not be matched. Anyone who thinks we can afford a good RFA and Deron is seriously misled. McGee, Anderson, and Gordon will all be over 10mil/year easily.

Going though your list:

I really love Ersan. Great rebounder (esp. Offensive), good 3pt shooter, 24y/o. Can play the 3 or 4. I still think he will get at least 8million a year. If we could start him at 7 in the first year I think that would be a great player long term. His upside is very high.

I really think Goran will keep up his production if you let him handle the ball as much as he did starting in Houston. He will likely be overpaid. I think Portland will pursue him and offer 10mil/year. If we miss on Deron I definitely see us trying to get Goran. We'd have to bank on him becoming a top 5 PG to be worth it. I'd be a little worried long-term if we got him, but he could turn out to be Steve Nash-esque.

I like Spencer only a little. He's young, he can score. The problem is that he is only an average rebounder and although he can block shots he's not good on defense. I don't think he fits in next to Dirk. He will be overpaid like all big men.

I like Nick Young only a little too. He can flat out shoot and score with the best of them. He can't do anything else. He averaged 0.9 assists and 2.1 rebounds in 28mpg. Will probably be overpaid.

Chris Kaman…. only if he's cheap
Steve Nash….. only on a 1/2year deal if we strike out on Deron and Goran

Looking towards the future, I only like Ersan and Goran this offseason for their probable price. Of course Deron too. The rest I'd only want to do cheap players.