View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm curious what your thoughts are on whether they hang on to Vince. I'd be happy to see him stick, myself. His salary is reasonable, his contract and production are tradeable, and between the cap hold and the partial guarantee cutting him would only clear what, like 1.8 million? I guess if you think that's the difference between Deron and no Deron you cut him loose, but otherwise I'm inclined to think he's more of an asset on the roster than off.
I think it's really hard to say. There are certainly scenarios where that 1.8 is really valuable and necessary, but you're right that's he's affordable and thus would seem easily trade able if necessary.

Quote:
I agree in the sense that they're not even going to think about cutting him loose without knowing exactly how the freed up funds will be used, but at the same time, don't you think that if Dallas can come to an agreement with one of the top 3 PGs on the market (Deron/Nash/Dragic), that it'll be incumbent upon them to make a hard push for a more offensively capable replacement for Wood in the starting lineup?
I feel like they'd be better off pushing for a shooting guard. It's really hard for me to imagine Cuban paying Haywood to go away and then signing, say, Kaman. Maybe he's more willing to eat that salary that I think, but having dead money AND potentially being back in the luxury tax in a couple seasons can't make him feel good.

On the flip side, with so many teams under the cap, maybe there's a feeling that someone would put in a healthy bid for Haywood. It's not hard to imagine a team talking itself into Haywood at 5 Mil a season. That would save Cuban about 60% of the remaining contract.

There's just so many variables, it makes it hard to really discuss options without laying out the full scenario. If the Mavs sign Deron Williams and acquire a legitimate offensive shooting guard, the need for offensive production at center goes way, way down.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote