Thread: Plan C?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Just because someone can't carry a team offensively doesn't mean they don't have to be accounted for offensively. KG is way, way more skilled than the vast majority of centers out there, and it absolutely would be difficult for someone like Bynum to guard him effectively and still play help defense.

I think you can make a pretty strong case that KG and Nash (if they played like they did this season) might represent a better core next season than Deron and whatever else you can get. You take Deron if you can for the long term, but next year, a team of KG, Nash and Dirk would be very stout.

I think a lot of people around here might have slept on just how good KG was this season, because he was really, really good, especially defensively. I think he's one of the very few guys that could offset what Nash takes off the table defensively.
Funny how that'd play out where Dirk said Tyson had the KG impact and you could have KG actually make that impact. He looks very generic to me on offense. Granted, he's pretty good with what he can do, but I would still have questions about how it "works" here. I'm sure it could, but I'd have to do more analysis of his offensive game.

He's still sharp as a tack on the defensive end of the floor. The concern is the obvious one, durability. He's had to do so, so much over the years, not even taking this year into account. The wheels have to break down eventually. People were saying that the Mavs would need an agile and versatile big anchoring the block with an aging Kidd and Jet with his defensive limitations. Ultimately, people saw what they got with Chandler. KG could theoretically do that, but I feel you're having similar yet different concerns. It's not the worst idea in the world tho.