View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #56
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I think people make the same mistake when they dismiss Nellie's teams. Lot of people say that Nellie's style could "never win it all"...but it came damn close in '03. Dirk doesn't go down against the Spurs, and maybe we take that series, and the one after. The "fluke" was the injury, not the success of the style.

OKC of this year and last is likely going to deal with this same issue. On perhaps slightly different dimensions...but the same issue.
That's always an issue I've found to be fascinating. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that style, especially on a team as talented as that particular Mavs team. My concern has always been the way that style tends to match up (at least in practice) to a contrasting style that happened to be utilized by the other two best teams in the West during those years.

But I certainly don't think the Mavs' success that year was a fluke either. That was an excellent team. They may well have won it with their best player.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote