View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #506
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I think there is more of a fraternity among these pros than we realize. I think most of them are pros first and [name the team] second. That's why the heartfelt hugs, the group prayers in football. (Hockey is different...for them, it truly is about respecting the opponent.)

Thus, the notion of "spirit of competition" is quaint but perhaps misguided. The guys who *won't* stay around to shake your hand are probably the biggest competitors of all. Maybe dicks, yeah...but probably pure competitors.
I'm not sure what your first paragraph is addressing. I have no problem with hugs/prayers/etc. I only have issue with those that bolt off the court without addressing the opponent in some manner.

"Being competitive" is not an excuse for poor sportsmanship. Yes, I know it's a quaint idea that professional athletes can also be good sports. But I would like to see it.