View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reasons to Chill Out

No one's going to like this right now, but I think we should simmer down. We could nuke it now, but I still think the Mavs can compete for a playoff spot next year and be poised for great things beyond next season.

#1 - Free Agency isn't even over yet - we have no idea what this team looks like next season yet. There's still some names out there that might serve well for a stopgap season. Look at this list and tell me that some of those guys couldn't help us out on the cheap: http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agents

#2 - We still have Nowitzki - With Dirk, we're going to contend for the playoffs. With Dirk and the right mix of rollplayers, we can be a threat in the playoffs. Never count out #41.

#3 - We will still have Kidd, Marion, and West - Kidd is a basketball savant and will always be on a winning team, Marion was one of the best defenders in the NBA last season, and West was a godsend to this team. All will help the Mavs significantly next year.

#4 - The F.O. has been very creative in the past - I'm in massive disagreement with their strategy over the past couple of off-seasons, but they have more information than we do and can look for angles we can't. The Stack chip, the DUST chip, Lamar's contract, Haywood's future expiring - there's hidden values out there.

#5 - We still have flexibility- Cap Space and the Amnesty can't put on jerseys, but they're still assets. I'd much rather wait to use this wisely than do what BG has referenced, and become 2009 Detroit.

#6 - Maybe the young guys can play - Maybe one of the group of Crowder, Cunningham, or James can become a solid rotation player, or just maybe Roddy can actually take a meaningful step forward this summer. I'd be massively surprised... but that would help the team immensely.

#7 - Next Summer and Beyond - Beyond Dwight & Paul, there's a ton of really useful players out there to swing for - Bynum, Igoudala, Josh Smith, James Harden, Steph Curry, and others. With other teams brazenly flaunting the harsh CBA tax penalties, the Mavs may be uniquely positioned to choose amongst the best of them.

#8 - Deron Williams is an amazing player, but... I'm not sure he's a guy like Duncan, Kobe, Dirk, Shaq, Garnett, LeBron, Wade, Howard, Paul, or Rose, that can singlehandedly carry a franchise. His highest single-season PER is a 21.1, he's never been higher than 9th in MVP shares, and he needs some significant help around him to be competitive. If we're looking for the guy to carry the torch once Dirk leaves, I don't think Williams could do it by himself. It would be the Finley/Ceballos/Trent/Pack years.

Yes, it sucks that we're probably looking at another year in Dirk's closing window where the Mavs won't be legit contenders. And man, I am desperate to have Tyson back, and you know, maybe Brewer or Stevenson as well. But let's chill out a bit and look at the big picture. We can still field a pretty good team next year, and we are still in position for something greater beyond that.

/silver lining in a thunderstorm

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote