View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #4553
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Problem is we will NEVER get back adequate value for Dirk. It may be in the Mavs' best interest to let him play out his contract. I know that sucks for Dirk but we can't screw the organization just to make him happy.

I don't know, I'm wavering on this. Honestly, I'm just frustrated with this whole situation and I don't see the outlook getting any better any time soon. To top it off, we're going to bring back Jason Kidd, which pisses me off again.
Unfortunately, the Mavs anyway can't make use of Dirk on the team as it looks currently. The current absolute best case scenario is to compete for the 8th spot and a quick playoff exit against OKC / LAL. The more probable scenario would be 10th or 11th place in the West and miss the playoffs. And I don't see that changing this offseason because the good free agents are off the market and the Mavs don't have the assets to trade for anybody who can get us back into contention.
And next offseason won't change the situation either, because the Mavs still won't be able to offer as much money to top free agents than their current team can and they still won't have interesting trade assets.

So, from the team's perspective, unless the big goal is to keep a team that's mediocre at best, the only viable solution would be to trade Dirk, get what you can and go into rebuild mode instantly. Otherwise you'd just prolong the sad interim period.

From a fan's perspective, trading Dirk to a contender would mean that one could at least cheer for Dirk while the Mavs are in rebuild mode - which would possibly be shortened by the picks and players that could be aquired for Dirk.

And from Dirk's perspective, he already said that he's too old for a rebuild. So, it's either staying for a rebuild - which would be pointless for him (because he'd probably be retired by the time the new team's ready to contend for a title), retire now or get traded to a place where he can play for another title. And he can always come back to Dallas in whatever role in two years if he wants to. Pretty easy choice if you ask me.

Last edited by stuportremens; 07-05-2012 at 03:25 AM.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote