View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #1061
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Can thig or someone give us a reset on the team salary situation, now that Kidd is (evidently) gone? That's one cap hold off the roster. What are we looking at in terms of other cap holds and exceptions, etc?

And...if it really came to battening down the hatches and riding this thing out for a year...what kind of minimum do we have to meet? Also, that minimum only is enforceable at the end of the year, right? Like, we could enter the season with a thin roster and keep the trade exceptions for use midseason? (They expire well before the trade deadline, though, don't they?)

Anyway, just wondering what the details would be in a bare-bones kind of scenario.
We're currently at about 45Mil in committed salary. If the salary cap stays the same as last year, the salary floor will be around 48Mil.

We have huge cap holds for Jet and Kidd that will be gone Monday.

We have small cap holds on Yi and Cardinal, which are insignificant and will be renounced when necessary.

We have a small cap hold and Early Bird rights on Ian. We an offer him a contract using cap space, or we can go over the cap up to an average salary (about 5Mil annually). Seems about 50/50 to me on whether we'll bring back Ian.

We have a small cap hold on Delonte but no Bird rights. I would imagine that we re-sign him, probably with an exception of some sort.

If we drop below the cap, we'll have about 13Mil of space to play with and the Room exception, which is 2.5 Mil for two years. I'd say it's very unlikely that we use do this.

If we stay above the cap, here are the exceptions we can use:

For signings:
MLE - 5Mil per year up to four years.
BAE - 1.9Mil per year up to two years.

For trades (trade exceptions cannot be combined and can only bring back equal salary plus $100,000, meaning the standard 125% or 150% doesn't apply):
8.2 Mil
4.2 Mil
3 Mil
2.1 Mil

There's any number of ways to use those trade exceptions, including using them to essentially sign a free agent via a SnT, like the Nets are doing with Reggie Evans.

My guess is that Kidd signing with the Knicks turns into a SnT of some sort, getting us a trade exception (if we can involve a third team) or maybe a player the Mavs view as semi-valuable.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote