View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #1406
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Zhi Zhi View Post
There may be some consequences, but you prioritize in life. Contracts aren't some sort of indentured servitude that keeps you on lock-down. They're broken all the time and then you either make the other side whole or work out a different arrangement. If missing one shooting of ST gets you sued (extremely unlikely), then so be it.

Here's a random hypo for you: You sign a contract to do repair work on some guy's house next Monday for $100. Shortly thereafter, ESPN calls and says they want you for a Sports Center anchor job (or whatever your dream job is) at 5x your current salary, but that you MUST be there on Monday for the interview.

What do you do? Do you tell ESPN you can't b/c you're "contractually obligated" for the house work? Of course not! You prioritize, tell the other dude you're cancelling, and either work with him or deal with whatever damages you may cause. Happens 100 times a day every day in every business.

This is what burns us up so much. MC prioritized and gave Shark Tank priority over the Mavs. Why, I have no idea. But he CHOSE to give them priority. Being "contractually obligated" doesn't put you under house arrest and keep you from doing something more important.
Let me ask you this: Do you think you wanted Deron Williams on the team more than Cuban did? I really doubt it, myself. In fact, I'd wager that signing Deron Williams was roughly a thousand times more important to Cuban than it was to any of us.

I also recognize that Mark Cuban is one of hell of a salesman, above all else. The man knows how to sell anything, and has made a lot of money from it over the years.

Given those two factors, I feel fairly comfortable assuming that Cuban balanced the potential fallout of missing the ST shooting against the potential negatives of not being at the meeting in person. He considered all aspects of the issue, and made a choice.

Is it a guarantee that he made the right choice? I suppose not. Maybe he assessed the situation incorrectly. That's possible, although I doubt it.

But what I cannot accept is that someone actually thinks that Cuban basically just decided the Mavs and Deron weren't that important. Or that he just made a stupid, flippant decision. Or that you, or anyone else, has a better grasp on what the consequences of breaking the contract would have been.

Mark Cuban has proven time and again that he's fanatically committed to doing what is best for the Mavs. And here you are just assuming that he suddenly changed that stance in this instance.

It's ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-19-2012 at 07:10 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote