View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #190
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't and I have no reasonable excuse as to why. Joyce was a man far ahead of his time who caught a great deal of flak from his contemporaries as he matured as an artist. I have always admired him. I've read Ulysses and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and I occasionally remind myself to read Finnegans Wake, but I always get sidetracked by another book in my library and forget. Thanks to you, that won't happen again. Finnegans Wake it is. I'll let you know what I think about it when I begin. Thanks for the recommendation.
I, too, have read Portrait. But from what I understand, there's no one who has actually read FW. I gave it a bit of try once...but I found it absolutely beyond my abilities.

Sometimes you have to know which battles to fight! I'll have to give House of Leaves some consideration. I recently saw another recommendation of it, and now yours. It may not be my cup o' tea, though. The strangest books I remember liking are The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro--which I liked a hell of a lot--and Wittgenstein's Mistress and Reader's Block by David Markson. I suspect those rate not even mild in comparison to your oddity.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote