View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't dislike any of the players. Individually, they are all okay. But collectively, they are like a high school team competing with junior highs for the title.

There is just no "sport" in it. And that's what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Either sport, or brilliance. It's okay for there to be a Jesse Owens or a Mark Spitz or a Michael Phelps, where the outcome wasn't much in doubt, as long as what you get instead is something kinda generational. But this basketball team? They are going to win the gold medal walking away, and there isn't going to be anything at all excellent about it.

The hockey team in '80 was the best Olympic moment in most of our lifetimes. Not the "Dream Team" in '92. This year's basketball games will be spectacles, that's for sure--and I will certainly be tuned in, like everyone else--but they will be a long, long way from sport.
At this point I would say it's closer to a 5A team competing with a good 3A team.

I like the idea of the USA being better than the rest of the world at basketball so I don't care who is on the team. I root for the laundry.

Rooting for Germany is akin to rooting for the Cavs then the Heat because you like Lebron.