View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Obviously, this is a thread that is months and months too early.. but this is a discussion board. Based upon what you've see and how you expect players to progress..and what they might cost, who do you want Dallas to go forward with in the future (beyond this season) from this current incarnation of the Mavs?
DC = Keeper. Between his play, his manageable cap hold, and Dallas' ability to go over the cap to re-sign him, locking him up long-term is about as close to being a no-brainer as anything could be at this point.

Brandan & Elton: Depending on who else Dallas targets over the summer, I question whether there'll be enough minutes for both guys, particularly if other teams try to recruit Brandan as a starter (I still see him as a bench player, myself), but I'd be very happy to see both of them return. Again, Dallas' ability to go over the cap to re-sign them is a significant factor.

Booby: I hope he can get his health together. I still think he's got the talent to be a real strength for the team as a bench combo guard - something the Mavs should be able to afford to invest in if DC does in fact solve starting point guard riddle for the forseeable future - and it'd be great for the Mavs if he could put it all together to earn himself a big raise next year. Unfortunately, that's looking like a long-shot right at this moment.

Mayo & Kaman: Gets trickier here since (as I understand things; correct me if I'm wrong) Dallas won't have any advantages beyond familiarity when it comes to re-signing them, and the success each guy has this year could end up being both a blessing and a curse, as headline-grabbing offensive play could end up pricing them out of the Mavs' future. If either of them can settle into a well-balanced role that really showcases their bball maturity above and beyond their ability to make baskets, I'd take that as a sign that things might work out in a way that allowed them to become long-term Mavs.

DoJo: unless he finally develops that 15-18 footer, I can't imagine he's here after this year.

VC & Marion: not FAs, but I mention them because they're older, on the books next year, and not Dirk. Donnie, Rick and Mark may have some difficult decisions to make concerning those two before the next free agent signing period roles around. I think next summer is the Mavs' time to make a move, and it's looking more and more like they'll be able to operate from a position of strength. Marion's salary, in particular, may be the biggest obstacle that they currently face.