View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #42
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Defending the final shot in regulation last night, though, flabbergasts me. It was awful. I find it really hard to believe that a Mayo/Kaman wing/post set, with that much time on the clock, doesn't result in a MUCH better shot.
If the Mavs were in a situation where if the shot doesn't drop they lose, then I would have wanted the ball to end up in one of those two guys' hands. Their percentages are unquestionably better than Vince's. But a missed shot with time running out in that situation just meant overtime and another chance to win, and so the goal had to be, IMO, drawing up a play that had some chance of success (which it did; it was a tough shot, but he got a clean look), and almost no chance of failure, where failure meant coughing it up, or panicking and shooting too early in the clock if the play broke down. I thought Rick and Vince did well by that standard.

Curious if you disagree with my read on what the situation called for, or just think I'm not giving Mayo/Kaman enough credit for being able to collectively execute a safe play in that situation.

Quote:
I'm concerned about his unnecessarily quick shooting hand on long-range jumpshots early in the shot clock that really aren't all that open. He is frequently way too eager to shoot with the slightest bit of airspace, even when there's plenty of time left to work for a better shot (whether himself or for one of his teammates).
He's got two pet shots that he'll take early in the shot clock that I don't like. One is the 26' three point heave, and the other is the long two when he's still curling around the screen and hasn't yet squared up (if he's squared up I don't mind it). He probably averages 1-2 attempts from that set per night, and I know I've seen one game this year (Utah, maybe?) where I thought he just came out leaning on them to a bench-worthy extent. I'd love it if he'd cut that down to just one every other night. Absolutely.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 11-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote