View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

No, Rick has done a less than stelar job this year.

I feel that while Rick Carlisle is not doing a half-assed job this year, he is not doing his best. As a coach, I think he is limited by the talent he has been given, but I do not suspect this team is looking to upgrade this season. The record has been hampered by the lack of Nowitzki, and it could be easily speculated that this team is just a few games away from contention. Yet, this squad reeks of rental. The majority of newer pieces are placeholders at best and they know it. They are good on paper, but they lack any chemistry, or even the desire to develop any chemistry for that matter.

They are not that bad though. At times the team has shown me signs of life and drive. Carlisle, however, has not seemed to me a coach driven to invest in his roster. Yes, he has been very vocal in his "belief" in this team as of late. This has not equated to any tangible result. I don't think Rick cares that this year is not up to his or this organization's standard. In my opinion, he and Dirk are both mailing it in this season.

I still think this team can make the playoffs this year. Yet, I am starting to suspect that is counter to the plan. As much as it sucks, this is our tank season. Hats off to Cuban for waiting until a championship to start the reboot, but it was coming around 2007-2008 and we lucked into a trophy before he had to take his foot off the gas. Honestly, the guy spent a ton of money to keep the window open after 2006. If he blew it up to save money after the championship, I thank him for not giving up until then. There are so many lesser interest/venue teams in the NBA that will never even sniff the finals much less over a decade of playoff appearances. That Cuban put the Mavericks in such category is a testament to the man's commitment.

The end of Nowitzki's career as a Mav may be rough. It stinks that he may have to go to another team to contend again. But I am convinced that as long as Cuban owns this team, a title run will be in the future.