View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #101
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Actually, I thought that's exactly what you are allowed to do. The rules just say that you can take two steps in coming to a stop (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/10/23/t....ap/index.html).
That's not clear enough to me at all.

If I catch the ball with one foot on the ground, I get two steps after the catch? So the second foot comes down as one step and the first foot re-positions after that. Am I allowed to pivot on my first foot? That could be construed as three steps. Or rather, the third step could be construed as a pivot.

If I catch the ball with both feet on the ground, do I still get two steps after the catch? If I slow down too much then two steps is an obvious case of switching pivot feet. So how slow is too slow? And again, may I pivot on either foot after the two steps?

And what if I catch the ball in the air? Still two steps? So basically it's the first scenario except the initial landing foot counts against the two steps.

If I have it right on the last two points, then catching on the ground allows a re-positioning of each foot, and catching in the air allows neither after the initial land.

I figure that something is wrong here, because it seems players would have the most freedom if they caught the ball with both feet on the ground. But when I watch them actually play, players in rhythm seem to make a concerted effort to gather the ball with only one foot on the ground before taking two steps, so I have to conclude that's the scenario with the greatest advantage somehow.

All of the above assumes there is no difference in the rule whether the player is catching a pass or gathering his dribble, but who knows.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote