View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #783
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Honestly, I don't know why people insist on worrying about this. If a point guard not named Chris Paul, or a center not named Dwight Howard agrees to a contract while the two big names have yet to make up their mind, then the point guard or center in question was either never going to do otherwise, or they have the worst agent in pro sports. And nobody who's any good has an agent that bad, so we're really just down to the player having their mind made up long before July 1 even gets here.

Don't confuse what the media and message boards fixate on for what the team is actually doing.
You know, I agree with you 90% of the time, but I just have to disagree with this one. If this offseason is anything like the summer of 2012, then players and agents know that the longer you wait to sign, the less $$ is out there for the taking. Dwight, being as flakey as he is, could wait months to sign a contract with someone. Who knows what his immature and indecisive brain will tell him to do. RFAs like Pekovic are likely to be offered a contract relatively quickly, so his new potential team can move on to Plan B if he re-signs. Same thing with Jennings (although I'm not a fan). I'm by no means saying you skip the Dwight and CP3 sweepstakes, but you've got to think ahead and figure out a reasonable timeline within which you are willing to wait.