View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #2096
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I don't think the offseason has been a abject failure like some are saying, they have done some good things, I definitely wouldn't call it a success either. I'd give them a C for the offseason and I was definitely hoping for better this offseason. Here is my breakdown.

Good:
Collison/Kaman gone so defense should improve
Harris arguably outplayed Mayo last year (higher PER and is the better defender) and they got him at 5 mill per year shorter, that is a asset.
Upgraded PG situation (Calderon/Harris/Larkin you could argue are all better than any PG on the roster last year)
The lack of chatter on Wright makes me think he is all but signed only thing is they have bird rights so they will do it to get him over the cap
No Monta or Jennings
Didn't dump Vince/Marion for cheap
Bad:
None of top 5 FA's (I thought it was a must to get one of CP3, Dwight, Iguodala, Bynum, or Josh Smith) and yes I think Smith can play the 3 on offense next to a stretch 4 like dirk, he is a terrific perimeter defender so that end isn't the question.
The Mavs are going to be in a weird cap position next year unless they sign a big overpay for next year, there will be quite a few players under roster (Calderon, Harris, Sarge, Wright, Crowder, Ledo) worth a cheap amount so it will be even more important next year they land a second tier free agent (I don't see anyway melo or LeBron comes)
No clearcut starting center (though I think Wright is, I don't think Carlisle views him this way)
The interest in Dalembert he is a good rebounder, but that is about it, a terrible javale like defender and limited on offense he is worse than Wright and Brand, and maybe even worse than sarge who was a good defender in limited minutes last year