Thread: Cuban 1on1
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #60
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I think that most any team who wins a championship in any sport is lucky. I think that they were not the most talented team in the dance, but they played the best for those 21 games. I'm so glad they did, but I wouldn't base all my future decisionmaking off 21 playoff games.

I also think that it's fair enough for a person, such as yourself, to think that they would have had a shot the next year, but as soon as you start saying things like "OKC and SA in 2012 didn't scare me," you overreach and convey that you're relying more on unfalsifiable hypothetical than fact.
This is kindof a weird post to get my head around. You think they were not the most talented but they played the best. That seems a somewhat useless observation, since it is "playing the best" and not "having the most talent" that has anything to do with winning games. One would imagine, of course, that the latter would lead to the former, but we all know it doesn't all the time. (Unless, that is, one takes the mindset that "playing the best" itself demonstrates a certain superior talent, but for now let's not go there.)

And on the future thing...call me crazy, I guess, but I've always thought it was the naysayers on this board who were most guilty of being a little too sure of their own ability to see into the future. I never bought for one minute the notion that age or wear and tear or anything else was going to certainly prevent the team from repeating the same level of performance they just got done demonstrating.

And demonstrating over a long and grinding playoff season, I might add. You don't Cinderella your way through four rounds of the NBA playoffs.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote