Thread: Cuban 1on1
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #99
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well what you are really saying is that he was wrong right away? Since the new CBA was agreed upon, he didn't give a reasonably substantial multi-year contract to a mid-tier player until this offseason. I'm not arguing that we should have kept the championship team together btw. I'm just talking about Cuban's thought on teams not spending in the new CBA like they did in the old one.
No. I'm saying that I think that characterization of his/their expectations misses the mark in several respects: 1) I think the expectation for league-wide behavior was more about the way teams would manage against the tax line, 2) a lot of what he was focused on in his early comments on the then-new CBA was the question of how the Mavs would have to adjust their spending and approach to continue to be competitive, 3) to reiterate my original point, I just don't see how they could possibly be accused of complete ignorance with regard to the possibility that individual teams might continue to spend irresponsibly under the cap when the evidence to the contrary was all over the place in negotiations they were having with their own free agents right at the outset, and 4) their plan was never about the overpaid guys anyway. Their plan was about the guys who cannot be overpaid, i.e., the true max level players; even if they underestimated to some extent how stubbornly some teams (Charlotte) would persist in giving out unreasonable contracts, that's not really at the core of what went wrong.