View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #33
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
I think the Mavs learned their lesson from this offseason

1. there is no such thing as a bad contract...ie GWallace & KHumphries
2. If you need cap space it only takes 48 hours to clear like 2O million....see the Warriors trading RJeff and Beans to the Jazz
Both examples you sighted required the teams trading the bloated contracts to
include MULTIPLE first round picks. Wright wouldn't be hard to move- he's a young player still improving on a fair deal. Still it's not exactly good business to give out big contracts with the idea that they can be "easily" moved. Hell, they had to move down two spots and give up a second round pick to get a team to take Cunningham's paltry 1.4 salary! Cuban hired a GM yesterday I'm sure in part to avoid such future clusterfucks.

Also, I'm really happy to have Wright back! I think conventional wisdom/conjecture had him coming in closer to 4 than 5mil. Maybe they had to overpay slightly to get a verbal commit and to get him to wait to sign till other business was finished. To me thats a smart way to do business. Loyalty rewarded all the way around.

I also understand Moogle's original point- it isnt wise to overpay guys "in a vacuum". Each transaction though is discrete and unique in its details. In this particular instance it was the right move.

I do think those extra dollars do sometimes add up though. Not to flog a dead horse but i've repeatedly bemoaned the inability to take on Speights/Selby and Ellington(ironically)contracts last season in order to grab a future 1st. They were actually only a couple million away from being able to do that and stay under the cap. Overpay Kaman by a little less, don't sign Mike James... they'd have been in the ballpark.

Like I said I really doubt Wright's deal will hinder any flexibility going forward. I also do think and hope that Rosas is here to see some of these potential pitfalls to roster building two or three steps ahead and increases the team's chances of being opportunistic next time a deal comes around.

Last edited by mac222b; 07-24-2013 at 01:57 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote