View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #52
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I think Devin will help quite a bit once he's healthy. He's a significant step up from Mekel at backup point guard, he'll be able to play a bit of a Monta-light role as a basket-attacking guard off the bench (otherwise missing from the roster), and I actually think he and Ellington will make for a pretty solid two-way backcourt bench duo.

Blair (particularly in the second half) and Daly seem to have both played reasonably well last night, so to be fair, I don't know that Dallas missed Brandan all that much in that game. That said, he's arguably the team's second best "big" after Dirk, he's the only proven rotation-caliber shot-blocker on the team after Daly, and he has a history of fitting well on court with the team's two best players (Dirk and Monta), so I'm pretty confident he'll make a significant impact when he's back.
Devin will be a huge upgrade over Mekel backing up PG but don't get your expectations up regarding him defensive. He may be an upgrade even over Calderon in defense but the better guards in the league will still have their way with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
When is Larkin coming back and if so can he even crack the rotation? It sure will be tough with all the guard depth we have. It really seems overloaded in the backcourt. Have plenty of trade bait for a big.
I'm wondering this as well. Last night Mekel only clocked 9 minutes. Now Larkin should return before Harris, but Mekel knows the offense. Perhaps he'll show something in practice which will get him a handful of minutes rather than Mekel. But once Harris is well Larkin and Mekel will both probably ride the end of the bench only seeing trash time. A shame really. But the point is we have an insurance policy at PG and won't be pulling up guys off the street.

We may be deep at PG, but with the exception of Calderon (who shouldn't be a trade option) the salaries don't amount to anything so unless there's a talented center out there who's earning next to nothing on a team with too many big men the idea of bundling up a few smalls for a big, which is a GM no no anyway, is pretty far fetched.

I think once Wright is back we should be OK in the paint. Dalembert is likely going to net ~7 RPG with a block or 2. Wright's going to add another 5 boards and 10+ points if he gets solid minutes. And you can still fall back on Bernard James to hack the hell out of the premier centers and force them to earn their buckets at the line. Let's see how we look against Houston. That will be a real test of our big men (well, except Wright).

Last edited by Dirk's Knee; 10-31-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote