View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #159
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAdamMorrison View Post
Well, Gasol IS a stellar defender. That's irrefutable. I would be happy to hear a cogent argument on your part as to why/how he's not. Something other than, "he's not" would be a start.
Stellar is, of course, an objective term in this case. There is not a certain accepted criteria for one to be considered "stellar", so we should drop that. It is enough to say that I can offer several CENTERS that I see as better defenders than Gasol. The weakness of the Gasol for DPY is that it doesn't/can't take away from him the fact that he is on the best defensive team in the league. And "YES", he is a huge contributor to that...but so is the scheme they ran under Hollins, and the exceptional defensive guard play from Allen and Conley. They each contribute to other's greatness.

When I watch Gasol, I see a very good defender in the perfect scheme for his somewhat limited athleticism and surrounded by the best defensive cast in the entire league. For example, would Gasol win DPY as a Mav? I don't think there is a chance. The rest of the squad is simply not good enough to play to his strengths or offset his weaknesses.

In contrast, Chandler guards the rim in sieve known as New York where none of the main rotation players are elite level defenders. That earns him my respect. And I know you're new around here, but I do not overrate him. Though some do on this forum and TONS of people do in this city, I am not among that number. Surround Gasol with that cast in NY and see what he looks like.

Hibbert, Noah, Howard *I would put these 3 ahead of Gasol and Chandler* are, in my mind, all clearly better pure on the ball defenders. I haven't taken time to study how each guards the P&R or how they rotate. But I've seen them all play enough games to know that when I see Gasol, I don't see the same thing.

You want me to make some kind of detailed statistical argument? Nope. Not worth my time.

But on a side note, I would encourage you to be slower in calling people's basketball IQ into question. That is a less than "stellar" move on your part. There is a thousand better ways to express your disagreement with someone.

By the way, in the Mavs game tonight, did you see "stellar" defense by Gasol? Because I saw what I've always seen. A very good defender, but not a game changing defender. Not the type of defender who by his very presence in the paint puts doubt into his opposition's mind.

If I do recall, Gasol winning the DPY was a little controversial.

Here is a decent article on just that: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ward-is-flawed

The conclusion is something like, we know he isn't the single best defensive player...but he is the center on the best defensive team in the league and centers almost always win. (Poor LeBron).

And that much is undeniable. Gasol is on the perfect team and in the perfect scheme for his particular skills.

I'm just of the mind that the DPY should ALWAYS go to the best individual defender in the league. While at the same time realizing that it usually goes to the Bigs.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote