View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LeBron isn't, and never will be, because he plays in an era of diluted talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I think this is a myth. Don't buy it at all. Today's players, as a whole, are more talented than any other generation of players.
That wasn't my point, exactly. In fact, I'd agree with you that players today are more talented individually than previous generations.

But to my eye, there are too many teams, spreading the talent too thin. So while the individual players are more talented than ever, the overall quality of competition (the level of intensity at which games are played) is lower, and the quality of play is lower/less interesting (to me) than ten or twenty years ago. Has to do with some rule changes as well, but I think over-expansion is the bigger effect.

The rivalries today are nothing on the order of Sixers v. Celtics, or Sixers v. Lakers, or Celtics v. Lakers, or Pistons v. Celtics, Bulls v. Pistons, or Bulls v. Pistons, or Bulls v. Knicks. You just don't see teams stacked as deep as the old Lakers, Sixers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls teams.

Better overall talent spread more thinly doesn't equate to better overall level of competition.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote