View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #42
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMFFL View Post
I think oilfieldtrash is related to Rick Carlisle. How could you defend Rick after blowing so many 14+ leads this year and then today allow Dalembert to only play 7 minutes. He picked 6'6" Dejuan Blair over 7'0" Dalembert. Rick needs to go. You really want to keep a coach that will most likely be in the lottery for back to back seasons? Mavericks have only gotten worse since 2011. Doesn't look like they are improving with Carlisle.
Jermaine O'Neal started and played 33 minutes, scoring 20 points.

Dalembert started the game and the second half, but logged only 7 minutes combined; Blair only had 11 minutes, and didn't even come in until Q4. Brandan Wright had 25 minutes. (Dirk had 40 as the other 'big' Mav.)

Apparently neither Dalembert (-15) nor Blair (+4) was particularly effective, but they only account for about half the story of how 35-year old Jermaine O'Neal comes in and scores a near-season-high 20 points. (He had 23 v. BKN about 6 weeks ago.) O'Neal did most of his damage against Wright, not Blair.

I saw Donnie Nelson patting himself on the back the other day about what a good acquisition he'd made in Dalembert, and how Dalembert would definitely be back next season. I know that the Warriors game is a little bit of a special case, and that Dalembert has shown a pulse the last month or so, but Dalembert has 'Career Underachiever' written all over him, and will be either a backup or a patch for however long his NBA career lasts. You have to wonder how much Carlisle really trusts him to show up night in and night out. And when Carlisle has to use the too-skinny Wright and too-short Blair to counter a worn-out Jermaine O'Neal....well, you get last night. it's a roster issue, not a rotation issue.

Separately, the missed goaltending call looked like a tough live-action call from the baseline angle where Dan Crawford (I think) was, as much as I hate to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it was a clear goaltend from the far-baseline angle, and TWO other officials missed that call as well. Spare us all the BS line about the shot going to be 2-feet short--there's NO way they can tell that, and it just further erodes and corrodes their credibility for them to be spewing that kind of obvious CYA nonsense.

It sure seems like the 'better' team generally gets the benefit of the doubt in those situations (Mavs v. T'Wolves, Mavs v. Pelicans, and now Warriors v. Mavs).

Bottom line: it shouldn't have come down to that, and if you're looking for NBA officials to make a game-deciding call in your favor in order to win, you're on thin ice to begin with, because for better and for worse, they don't want to be the game-deciders. I've wanted to see 'less officiating' for a while now, and if this is what we're going to get with 'less officiating', then I'd just as soon see it done with 2 zebras instead of 3. If 3 sets of NBA officials' eyes are going to miss that call, you have to wonder how many it would take watching the game to ensure that kind of call doesn't get missed. Will be interesting to see if the NBA 'fesses up. Frankly, I don't expect to hear a word from the league about that call.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote