View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

We are coming up on the first bit of activity for Free Agency with the draft and Melo decision. Here is my updated list of players I would love to see the Mavs pursue in order.

Roy Hibbert- Could solve the issue of Calderon and give us perhaps the best defensive anchor center in the game. This is the first call that should be make. I feel like its a low chance, but again.. worth the call..

Chandler Parsons- Slightly worried about the cost (10-12 mill per year is the rumor). I love his offense, and I think that his defense is not as bad as people were saying on the first page of this thread. He could be an 18/5/5 26 year old with tons of upside and long term we are not worried about year 3 or 4 of his contract unlike Deng or even possibly Ariza (get to him in a second). He shoots the 3 ball well, and shoots a 46+ fg%. Adding him + a possible good value in Okafor (5mill a year?) would instantly better our roster over last year and long term we are still in a great place. Obviously, there might be better value for the 2014-15 season (Ariza), but I like Parsons for his entire contract and he could fit on any future team without Dirk well. This is a unique chance to get a 25 year old talent.

Omer Asik- I seriously doubt we could make a move for him. My thoughts are that there are other teams that can do more to to alleviate the Houston's cap issue while not giving over a good center to a division rival. Still.. He's worth putting here.

Emeka Okafor- I think he obviously carries some risk, but his cost will offset the risk. Chandler is on a one year deal, but we would need the Knicks to play ball and probably take Calderon off our hands in any trade or else we will have a hard time handling his contract. Okafor allows us to put as much money as we possibly want into upgrading our 3 spot.

Luol Deng - This is in the event that we go the more conservative route (opt not to wait for Parsons RFA). I was struggling between Ariza or Deng for a few weeks. I realize Ariza's stock has gone up, and Deng's somewhat down based on last years performances. I think that people are overestimating the "miles put on the tires" for Deng. I keep hearing that as a voice of concern, but I just look at the numbers last year pre and post trade and have to believe its more of a Cleveland Cavalier problem than Deng. Also, I look at the success of Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, and Vince Carter recently with the Mavs all of whom produced greatly for us despite many concerns of "wear and tear".

Trevor Ariza
- If Parsons and Deng are not our focal point, then I think pursuing Ariza would be in our best interest. I question the "contract year" stats which has me on the fence. I love his defense, but aside from this year his 3pt% has never been elite. Half of me wants to believe that his play can carry over to a new organization, situation, and fat contract, but for me I would prefer the upside of Parsons long term or the consistency of a Deng.

PJ Tucker - I like his game... nice fallback option if things go badly pursuing Parsons, Deng, and Ariza. I think he will easily be worth his contract for the next 3-4 years. He's a 3 and D guy probably not going to have as strong of an impact as maybe Deng or Ariza, but I like him more for years 3 and 4 of his contract... and he still would make us a better team in 14-15.

Tyson Chandler - Only like this deal if it gets Calderon off our books. He would make us better for next season... and give us flexibility in the 14-15 summer. Any deal that we possibly get Chandler in that doesn't involve Calderon is a bad one imo.

Larry Sanders- Ugh.. I really don't like this guy. But.... yeah I just don't like him.

Those are my personal targets for the 2014-15 free agency. Obviously when you factor in some unique/creative trades that we could possibly make there are a few more guys I would love to have, but to me this list gives us a 54+ win team next year and in some cases a future building block for the next 5+ years.

EDIT- I didn't include Monroe because honestly I don't see it happening. He's going to be overpaid and short term he just doesn't fit any team with Dirk and Monte on it (defense still matters right?).

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 06-21-2014 at 11:07 AM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote