View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, Dan.

I think three things stand in the way of your proposed deal:

1. The Mavs are scared of Lance. Before the offseason began all the insiders said they weren't even considering him. Apparently they softened a bit when it looked like they might be running of options, but now that they have Parsons I suspect they're back to not touching him. And this is an organization that has been willing to take chances on guys with mixed perceptions, so if they're concerned, you know there's a reason to be.

2. I don't think the Mavs want to play Monta at PG. Yes, he does initiate a lot of the offense, but we've all also seen him go completely off the reservation at times with his decision making. I think the Mavs value having a real PG out there to settle things down. Hell they played Gal Mekel significant minutes last year early on, rather than let Monta play too much point.

3. Felton was absolutely one of the worst starting players on basketball last year. The fact that he has a player option for next season means (I think) that almost no one is going to touch him. I think the Mavs are confident they can get something out of him, but make no mistake, he was foisted on the Mavs as a negative asset as part of the cost of acquiring Tyson.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote