View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #4176
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...bcs&ocid=yahoo
"
The Sixers return to action on Thursday when they take on the Mavericks in Dallas.
Waiting for them is a Mavs squad that is sitting at 5-3 and led by a superstar that continues to reach more career milestones. Dirk Nowitzki scored 23 points in the Mavs’ win over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night to pass Hakeem Olajuwon for ninth place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list and become the league’s highest-scoring player born outside born outside of the United States.

Nowitzki now has 26,953 career points. He is averaging 20.8 points per game so far this season.
When Sixers head coach Brett Brown was an assistant with San Antonio, part of his job was to scout the Mavericks when the Spurs were getting ready to play them.
Nowitzki has such a unique set of skills, Brown felt his homework sometimes became irrelevant because the 7-footer was unstoppable.

"I look back at my days battling through Dallas. First there was Kobe (Bryant). How do you guard that? Dirk came in at 7-foot, and you couldn't guard him in pick-and-roll. If you switched, (Don Nelson) Nellie used to roll him right to the nail and he would do this with Tony Parker on him,” Brown said with his arm stretched high in the air to demonstrate.
"With his height and his ability to shoot, he is such a lethal scorer. What he has done over his career for a man of his size and his ability to shoot, he was borderline impossible to guard. He made everyone around him better. He created so much attention.”

For his career, Nowitzki has averaged 22.5 points a night while shooting 47.7 percent from the field and 38.3 percent from behind the arc. Now in his 17th season, he has averaged 8.1 rebounds and 6.2 free throw attempts a game.
Given the youth on the Sixers' roster, any appreciation players have for the 36-year-old comes from watching highlights of Nowitzki over the years on TV.

"He has a different play style, nothing like mine," Nerlens Noel said. "I respect his Euro-style play that he brought to America. He is a great player, and he will be in the Hall of Fame soon."
Michael Carter-Williams' admiration for the 7-foot sharpshooter was similar to Noel's.
"Dirk is unbelievable," Carter-Williams said. "I have been watching him since I was a little kid. He has been unbelievable for Dallas with what he has done. He won a championship for them. He is a unique player who does a lot of good things on the court. He brought to the game something no one else has with his shot at his size."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote