View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
I like Carmelo Anthony. His defense improved a little, he needs to stop playing defense with his hands too much. Arguably the best overall scorer in the game. People have to remember this guy was playing with a BAD Knicks team last year. If Knicks were a 7 or 6 seed, Melo would have been a MVP candidate. That being said, I will take Lebron, Dwyane, and Kobe over Melo.
I like Carmelo as well. And I actually agree with him somewhat. I don't know if he's necessarily underrated talent-wise, but I definitely think he's ridiculously over-bashed and over-maligned. The reactions in this thread are a perfect illustration of that.

Quote:
* 0 Rings
* 0 Finals Appearances
* 0 Finals MVP's, 0 Full Season MVP's
* 0 All Star Game MVP's
* 0 Time All NBA 1st Team
* 0 All Defensive teams
* 3 playoff series wins in 11 years
* 8 first round playoff series losses
* 23-43 career playoff record (worst all time for any player)
* 41% shooter for his career in the playoffs
* 1-17 while playing for the Knicks on game winning shot attempts in the 4th quarter & OT
* 37% shooting in the 4th quarters of games last season
Cherry-picked stats that really don't mean much of anything. He has the exact same amount of rings, finals appearances, finals MVPs, all-star game MVPs (like that means ANYTHING!), and defensive team appearances as Steve Nash. He's never won a season MVP, true. Countless other great players haven't. And yes, he's never been an all NBA-first team selection. He has the bad luck of playing in probably the greatest era ever for forwards- he's a great player, but just not quite as good as Lebron, Durant, Dirk, and Duncan.

As for the lack of playoff success, I really can't help but scoff anytime someone trots out team achievements or lack thereof to praise or knock an individual player. Camelo has played on shitty teams for his whole career. Part of that is his own fault, I'll grant that; like so many others, he demands to paid like an elite player and that hinders his team's ability to improve. But that's par for the course, and it's not his fault that the front offices in Denver and New York did shitty job.

This Bill Simmons article pretty much sums it up about Carmelo. Plus it's worth reading for any Mavs fan because there's a ton of praise for Dirk in here too-

http://grantland.com/features/carmel...knicks-legacy/

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-20-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote