View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #158
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about this deal, the more I'm amazed how some people see this as some huge risk for the Mavs. For a major upgrade at our weakest position, this is about the lowest risk move I can think of. Even if Rondo completely flops, it's not like we're stuck with him. We just let him walk in the offseason and with the money we save we can chase whoever else we want. Worst cast scenario, we're right back where we were before the trade anyway, at least as far as PG is concerned. And we weren't legit title contenders anyway, so what do we really have to lose here?

Losing Wright is a bummer, but let's not act like he's the difference between being a championship contender and not being one. And we're in "win now" mode, draft picks really don't do us any good. The only major downside I see here is that if Rondo doesn't pan out, we don't have much to work with in the way of trade assets, but such is the case with pretty much any major trade. Throw in the added possibility that we may re-acquire Wright in the offseason, and it becomes clear that the Mavs are taking pretty minimal risks here.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote