Thread: Who returns?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I have several salary cap questions:
  1. I thought a team could go over the cap in order to sign their own free agents. It seems that the consensus on various media outlets is that the Mavs will not likely be able to sign Aminu. Why can't they just go over the cap to sign him?
  2. There are times when it seem like there are advantages to being over the cap, for example: access to the midlevel exception. Why not just sign Tyson and Monta to max deals, go over the cap and then have access to that relatively large exception?
  3. I seem to remember during the Parsons situation last summer, the Rockets were attempting to sign both Bosh and Parsons. Specifically, they were trying to sign Bosh first and then go over the cap when they sign Parsons. They could not do the signings in reverse order. Couldn't the Mavs first sign a free agent like Aldridge and then sign Monta (for example) and go over the cap? Or was last years situation the case because Parsons was a restricted free agent?
1. Mavs don't have bird rights with Aminu. They would have to use the MLE to keep him if they are working over the cap.

2. That's true, but the MLE can only cover so much ground. You probably don't get a quality starting pg for that type of exception.

3. In order to go after Aldrige, they'd have to give up cap holds with Chandler and Ellis. Once you give up those cap holds, you no longer have the rights to the players.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-04-2015 at 02:33 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote