View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #194
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I personally don't think its in Cuban's DNA to rebuild from scratch and I certainly don't think RC is the coach when or if Cuban ever changes to that strategy. I still say our best bet right now is to put together a young team with promising players to hopefully lure a star FA when the cap increases. RC will be forced to play them if that is all he has. If he has vets they will always trump inexperience because Carlisle is always thinking about the immediate present and probably should as long as Dirk is on the team but at some point we need to develop younger players. Maybe not necessarily rookies but 3rd or 4th year guys like Aminu.

That's why I'm more in favor of going after Jordan (26) and Green (27) because those are some good building blocks to go along with Parsons (26), Aminu (25) and Powell (24) and are guys that RC would actually play.
I pretty much agree with all of this, and I do think nabbing Parsons was a sign that we want to get younger -- just not rookie-young. I mean, Ellis was only 27 when we got him, and Rondo is only 29... It seems like veteran players with more productive years ahead of them than behind them (25-29) is the sweet spot you're looking for if you want to re-tool on the fly. It gives us an opportunity to compete for a ring in Dirk's twilight years, but also gives us a foundation to build on after he rides off into the sunset.

Aminu definitely fits the profile, and yes, Corey Brewer does as well -- so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the direction we keep heading... But then again, it also wouldn't surprise me if we kept loading the bench with veteran players over 30 who subscribe to Rick's "be ready" mantra until Dirk actually does retire.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-19-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote