View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #44
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
How do the Spurs get way too much draft credit? Have you seen the players their organization has drafted despite having terrible picks year in and out?
Go ask a Spurs fan how much they love draft and stash players. I said they get too much credit, not that they are inept or even average just that they get too much credit. They draft players who fit their system and I applaud that. That's as far as my admiration for their draft goes.

They constantly traded rights to picks for stash players or to simply preserve space and such for a shot at landing Jason Kidd. Which Mavs fans here rip the Mavs for doing the exact same thing with DH12 and such but whatever... Spurs are genius's because they did exactly what we did... failed at it like we did... but wound up winning anyway which we did also, they just won multiple times because their core was better and established many years ago.

Just for the record... since Parker in 2001- the 1st Rounders(I won't list every second Rounder because literally it's a draft and stash fest that leads to nothing.) are as follows.....

-Drafted John Salmons but traded in a draft day trade for Speedy Claxton.
-Drafted Barbosa but traded him in draft day trade to Spurs for future 1st. That 1st was subsequently traded with Malik Rose to the Knicks which wound up being David Lee for Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer.
-Drafted Beno Udrih who did nothing for them and later turned in to a solid backup now with Memphis.
-Drafted Mahinmi, who they let walk and go to Dallas to get his rang then get overpaid by Indy to sit on a bench.
-Drafted Splitter as a stash player and 3 years later he came over. He has developed into a quality player.
-Drafted George Hill, who was used to acquire Leonard in a draft trade later on.
-Spurs often get credit for Dragic by fans who don't know any better than just his profile states. He was actually a pick used by Suns in a draft trade with Spurs for Malik Hairston, I won't even bother comparing the two.
-Drafted James Anderson, amounted to absolutely nothing.
-Drafted Cory Joseph who after 4 years has worked up to 18mpg and *seems* like a quality backup possibly.
-Drafted Liveo Jean-Charles, you guessed it... A Stash.
-Last year Kyle Anderson. Who since he was drafted by the Spurs was seen as an absolute steal so we will wait and see.
-Ill add that Dejuan Blair was serviceable as a rebounding undersized player who has a role at least.

I give them credit for picking guys who fit their system, and for the previous finds of Parker and Ginobili and obviously the trading of George Hill for Leonard. Again I merely said they get too much credit. I'm not crediting them with DR's injury sub-sequential luck lotto pick with 3rd worst record ending in TD and then slew of awful picks that go overlooked as they preserved cap for pie in the sky ideas like Kidd which mirror our own.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 06-26-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote