Thread: Tank or try?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #68
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
I think some of you don't know what "tanking" means. Tanking is PURPOSELY losing. Tanking is the organization and players saying "we are gonna try to be the worst in the league". Tanking is despicable and everyone involved in that idea should feel bad.

If we suck, fine. I can handle that. But at least try. I will pull for and support a .500 team for the rest of my life. With no shame at all. I will not ever support a team who decides to lose on purpose. For any reason.
We can absolutely "try" while still tanking. It all boils down to player personnel. If Greg Smith is our starting center, for instance. If we hold Wes and Parsons out for "health reasons" for considerable stretches. If we sit Dirk every other game to "prolong his career." If we ship off Devin for a draft pick to someone that could use a veteran guard. If we take on bad contracts to get some draft picks.

Regardless, there are plenty of ways for us to be terrible while the players we DO have are giving 100%.

The biggest issue, as has always been the case for the Mavs front office, is a complete disregard for the value of draft picks. They give them away like they're candy. That Rondo trade was beyond terrible, even if Rondo had turned out to be okay. You don't give a 1st rounder to take a known attitude problem.