Thread: Tank or try?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #73
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I think "tanking" in this case boils down to how we build our roster, not how the players perform on the court... Pro basketball players are ALWAYS going to try to win games -- but Cuban has the opportunity to improve our chances of racing to the bottom if he doesn't go out and try to sign the best talent available.

Remember, if we don't end up as one of the worst 7 teams in the league, then we lose this season's draft pick to Boston... I mean, we're definitely not playing for a ring, and we might not even be playing for the 8th seed. Is it worth losing our pick if we're only good enough to be the 10th seed in the West?
Exactly- players are always going to try to win- coaches too. But if I'm an owner or a gm of a team that has absolutely no chance of being even remotely competitive, then I'm not about to try to frantically make desperation moves that will make the team just barely good enough not to get a lottery pick. I hoard my cap space and try to trade whatever assets I have for more picks, and then I hope I get very lucky in the draft.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote