View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #751
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
It is. And it's the only point on which I have any semblance of an intersection of philosophy with Dolan, who is aggressively antagonistic with the NY media, refusing to grant interviews, dictating a very limited of staff authorized to give on-the-record interviews, requiring that a team media-representative be present for all player interviews, discouraging players from talking to media. I wish he were more deft than dumb about manipulating press relations, but given how unrelentingly negative the NY sports media is, I do understand Dolan's knee-jerk reaction.

The media played Thomas against Wilkens, then Marbury against Wilkens, then Brown against Marbury, and Brown against Thomas; then Dolan against Thomas, and Thomas against Marbury; then Walsh against Dolan, the D'Antoni against Walsh, then Dolan against D'Antoni, then Woodson against D'Antoni, then Stoudemire against Anthony, then Anthony against D'Antoni, then Anthony against Woodson, then Jackson against Woodson, then Jackson against Dolan, and now Anthony against Jackson. It's a never-ending series of media-created conflicts, exaggerated solely for the sake of creating headlines, selling papers, and getting clicks.

Seriously, do they really think that the Knicks can do better than Phil Jackson right now? Who? Jackson's stature as an ex-Knick linked to the team's LAST championship years, as a coaching product of Knicks coaching legend Red Holzman, and as the most successful NBA head coach since Red Auerbach...all of that is the only thing that has any hope of shaming Dolan into minimal interference with the personnel/team management decisions. And even Jackson's stature and reputation will have a limited shelf life with an idiot like Dolan. If the media starts undermining Jackson with the fans, that shelf life becomes even shorter than Frank Isola's manhood.

Jackson is undoubtedly a smug, arrogant SOB who uses the media to manipulate players, and who plays games with reporters and doesn't toady up to them to curry favor. But he may well be the last thing standing between the Knicks future and Isiah Thomas's return as GM and Dolan's own personal fluffer.
Excellent write up of the situation. You are absolutely spot on with how Dolan treats the media here in NYC. The media does not like it either because it's only been this past season that there have been positive stories about the Knicks and that's largely due to the Porzingis signing. Even when Jackson was hired there were a slew of sarcastic and satirical articles written. Either way, while I don't look forward to the jump in ticket prices, I am not opposed to seeing the Knicks do well again.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote