Thread: 2016 NBA Finals
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #133
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the game again in its entirety. This time I payed very close attention to the officiating, and.... I still don't get what everyone is complaining about. In fact, I thought the officiating favored GSW through most of the game. Yeah, Tristan Thompson got away with some moving screens, but then they called him for it about 3 minutes into the 4th and didn't see him do it again. Green on the other hand did it throughout the whole game and never got called for it once and Varajao got away with murder the whole time he was out there. The Cavs played physical, yes, but the Dubs gave as good as they got, and they got more than their fair share of favorable calls and non-calls- Lebron got flat out mugged on a few plays, and probably should have ended the game with 46 points instead of 41.

Curry's fouls specifically were perfectly acceptable in my eyes- with one notable exception.

Foul #1- He does an idiotic, inexplicable shoulder takedown on Tristan Thompson. No question here.

Foul #2- An absolutely stupid blocking foul. He basically hip checks Lebron. Again, no question.

Foul #3- Foolishly gambles on a steal that he had no chance of getting. Maybe a little "ticky tack" but still perfectly reasonable, and entirely his fault.

Foul #4- This is the one that I can see being upset about. Love grabs a rebound, Curry hits him on the arm and gets called for a loose ball. This is the definition of "ticky tack" and probably should have been a no call.

Foul #5- Tries to steal the ball from Irving and gets called. Van Gundy and crew complain that it's a clean steal, but I couldn't disagree more. I watched the replay multiple times, and I think Curry not only fouled Irving on this pay, but actually fouled him two or three times. Again, foolish gamble. Curry's fault.

Foul #6- Once again gambles on a steal- he clearly hits Lebron's hands and actually doesn't get called for it, then when the two make minor contact afterward (and no, Lebron absolutely did not "flop into him"), Curry trips Lebron up, Curry gets called. The actual foul that was called was again "ticky tack" but still reasonable, and Curry actually fouled Lebron twice in this sequence. And it was once again the result of Curry taking a very stupid chance on a steal instead of just trying to play solid defense.

So yeah, the Warriors don't get one shred of sympathy from me. The fact is, they just got their asses handed to them fair and square. I'm not saying there were no bad calls, or that Cleveland didn't catch any breaks, but it was hardly this lopsided affair some people seem to think.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-17-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote