View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #88
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I think he was merely trying to free up the extra 4m or so that we would save from his cap hold which is 20m now that he declined to opt in. 4m would not keep us from some sort of pipe dream scenario of Whiteside and Conley(which btw is absolutely ludicrous to think we could get both of them with and especially without parsons) . Harris and Barea both have 4m cap hits and could be moved if something like that fell in our lap.

I highly doubt our FO is ready to move on solely because he wouldn't save us 4m in cap space. Especially considering the fiasco that goes on here every off season in free agency. Every year we covet our cap space and every year we sign anything except "plan a", with the sole exception of when we had to overpay parsons to get him as a RFA. If our grand plan was for ppl to take team friendly discounts/opt in to help the FO, so we could once again chase a highly unlikely scenario, and in that scenario we also try to get those highly unlikely players to also take unlikely to highly unlikely discounts as well... then the fault lies in the FO not the players. Outside of Dirk and a handful of guys in the NBA, not many are walkin around taking discounts. And only dirk is doing it for failed plan after failed plan which happens to be... the exact same plan every off season.

In short, IMO if our FO is upset over a guy not saving us 4m so we could literally pull out the same blueprint plan we do every off season... then our FO should probably all start looking into alternate career paths. If they move on it will be because they feel the salary he wants outweighs his expected production/role. Not because he didn't opt in to help a problem they created years ago and a problem that they have exacerbated every year since by using the same tired old plan.

I don't know how I feel personally about resigning him. I don't want to pay him the max. But the Free agent class is garbage and if they want to keep dirk on a competitive team in a mavs uniform they could be forced to pay him more than they want. If he's gone I hope they just play Anderson though and not overpay someone else at the position.
You should read Mavs Moneyball recent post "Mavs are heading for disaster". It touches on a lot of what you posted here.