View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #96
slim

slim is a jewel in the roughslim is a jewel in the roughslim is a jewel in the roughslim is a jewel in the rough

That's encouraging about Zaza. As great as the Warriors were offensively, there were times where their inability to get points out of their conventional centers hurt them. The Warriors have lost lots of rim protection, though, with the departures of Bogut and Festus. They need to find some without having to place too much of a burden during the regular season on Draymond Green and KD. That's for another team's board, though.

I don't think overplaying Bogut will be an option. Some players just can't handle the minutes. My guess is that he'll make it clear that he just can't play big minutes regularly. He won't bite his tongue. There will be games or short stretches of games where he just doesn't have it, where his body won't let him be at his best. This is where he's at in his career. And he's coming off of a knee injury that looked bad when it happened, but didn't end up requiring surgery. 20 minutes a night, 65 games a year is about what you can expect. He might feel good and exceed that by a little. Quality, not quantity, in this case.

One way in which he's not a reluctant scorer is on alley oops. Maybe Carlisle can get him to be more willing to shoot in other situations. I think the Warriors wanted him to, but he wouldn't. There are shots he can make. It's that he doesn't trust his elbow and he doesn't want to have to go to the line. Or so it seems. I don't pretend to be in any of these guy's heads.

His impact on the game is similar to Chandler's, but he does it in somewhat different ways.

I wouldn't be concerned about lack of mobility unless this knee issue lingers. He's not going to be racing up and down the floor, but in the half court, his agility more than makes up for his lack of foot speed or visible quickness. He moves better than you might expect. He's one of those players who sees and reacts more quickly than most, which makes up for some athletic shortcomings. Barnes, alas, has been at the other end of the spectrum in that regard, though I'm hoping that the change of scenery helps him.

Last edited by slim; 07-08-2016 at 12:09 PM.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote